Thursday 13 February 2014

Coco + Lulu Nail Polish




I spotted this nail polish at Coles bookstore of all places. The colours and the cute bottle caught my eye so I picked one up only to see that it was on sale for $3! I'm not a big nail polish person. I'm a nurse and no nail polish can hold up to all the hand washing. Even shellac manicures only last a few days on me. So that being said, I'm not a pro on polishes, but I can tell the difference between nicer polishes and cheaper ones. I assumed these polishes would be bad so I only bought one, the turquoise one called "Riviera" because I thought it would be fun for my upcoming vacation. I was pleasantly surprised! I thought this one one of the best polishes I've ever tried. I went back a few days later and bought a few more. There wasn't a lot of colours left for $3 so I got 2 more on sale (the light pink and red) and paid full price, $8.99, for the other two (hot pink and sparkly).

                         **I'm not the best at doing nails and my cuticles are a mess! Don't judge!**

One coat

Two coats with indoor lighting

Two coats in natural light


It turns out "Riviera" is the most opaque of the bunch. Riviera goes on so nicely. It is so opaque I only wore one coat! I wore it to work and it started to chip a bit but that's not surprising. I took it off after 3 days so I could try some new ones but if I wanted to wear it longer I probably could have just touched it up. The formula reminds me a bit of Essie. It started to peel up a bit at the sides like I find Essie does. Overall, this went on super opaque with one coat, not streaky at all, shiny finish, and lasted as long as any other nail polishes do on me. The only downside is that the colour is darker than I had hoped. I was thinking it would be a bright turquoise but it's a bit darker and more green. Still a pretty colour, but not as bright as I wanted. It also stained my nails a bit after I took it off. However my nails are very dry and brittle, so could just be me.

One coat!

Two coats, looks the same. Darker than the bottle


The rest of the colours aren't as opaque, except the shimmery colour, "Cherie". I love this colour, it's probably my fav of the lot. It was super opaque with one coat. I can't tell you about the wear yet but it's probably similar. The red "Left Bank" and the hot pink "Ma Belle" are both opaque but looked better with a second coat. The light pink "Macaron" was more sheer than I was hoping. It definitely needs two coats. It's also a bit darker than I thought too and more of a bright, baby pink. All the colours actually dried a bit darker than they look in the bottle (except Cherie that's pretty true to colour).

"Left Bank" one coat

Two coats. Classic red.


"Ma Belle" one coat. It's more neon than pictured

Two coats.  A hot, neon pink

"Macaron" one coat

Two coats. Baby pink.

"Cherie" One coat (sorry for bad quality)

Two coats. Shimmery taupe.


So looks like these polishes are a bit of a hit or miss. For $3 they're a dream. I'd say they're similar in quality to Essie. The only problem is that these are exclusive to Chapters and there aren't a ton of colours. But when they go on sale, I'll buy some more!



                                        **Apologies for some of the bad lighting/quality pics!**

No comments:

Post a Comment