Saturday 22 February 2014

How I Clean My Brushes

Cleaning your brushes isn't rocket science. You don't need expensive cleaners or tools. But it is a pain and can be time consuming which is why I'm guilty of not cleaning them as much as I should. But since I got my new cleaning glove it's been a lot less of a chore.



When the new Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove came out I thought it was a great idea and wanted one but couldn't bring myself to by a $35 oven mitt. Because really, that's all that thing is. So I went to Winners and bought myself a silicone oven mitt for $5. The only one I could find had a honeycomb pattern instead of the stripes of the Sigma one, but for $5 it does the job pretty well.

The brush cleaner I use is just something I picked up at the drug store for pretty cheap. I like it because it has a spray pump so it's easy to use. But when I'm cleaning my foundation brush, I just use straight up shampoo. Nothing works as well. I just rinse it really well after.



All I do is spray a few pumps on the glove, wet the brush, and swirl it around on the glove until the water runs clear. Sometimes if my brushes are really dirty I may have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times until its really clean. But to wash all my brushes it only takes a few minutes. And I don't have to get my hands wet or have a clammy, sore hand from washing them in my palm.





Then I squeeze out the excess water and swirl around on a paper towel to reshape them. I lay them flat to dry with the end hanging over the sink so they don't get a flat edge. You don't want to hold the brush upright at any point because the water will get into the ferrule and damage it. Don't ask why, I'm not an expert.



                                                       
Hopefully this has given you a few helpful tips! Now go wash your brushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment