Saturday 10 May 2014

Makeup Setting Sprays

I'm pretty new to the concept of makeup setting sprays. I've only tried out MAC Fix + and Urban Decay De-Slick. I feel like I just thought they were a bit gimmicky and expensive. I broke down and tried them after a friends recommendation.




 MAC Fix +





I bought this after my friend raved about it saying it kept her makeup in place all day. I tried it and I don't agree. I find that it sprays out of the bottle really heavily and leaves beads on my face that take a while to dry. I end up just blotting my face dry after. I tried holding the bottle farther away but it still does it. I also find it shocking when I spray my face, and not in the good, refreshing kind of way. As far as the finish, I think it makes me too dewy. I have to blot over my face again with powder to take the shine away. It does nothing for making my makeup last longer, and if anything, the dewy finish makes me oily faster. All this is is just vitamin and mineral infused water. It is described on the MAC website that it "adds radiance and finishes makeup". It doesn't say that it increases make up wear time anywhere. This is better left for dry skin.

Fix + has other uses though, such as dampening your beauty blender, wetting makeup brushes for applying loose pigments, before makeup for hydration or any other time your skin needs a pick me up. So I keep mine around and use it mainly for applying pigments.

$25 for 100mls


Urban Decay De-Slick





I was hesitant after trying the Fix + but I tried this out on the back of my hand and it felt really nice. This one sprays out in a nice, light mist. You barely feel it and it drys instantly. It immediately takes the powdery finish away and leaves your skin looking natural but not shiny or dewy. They have some pretty bold claims on the website saying it "controls oil, deflects surface shine, and keeps skin looking beautifully matte" and "this groundbreaking, clinically tested formula features patented Temperature Control Technology that actually lowers the temperature of your makeup to help it stay put and keep skin looking smooth, but never shiny."  Pretty fancy stuff. As far as oil control goes, I still get a bit oily so its hard to say. I find the foundation I'm using controls oil more than anything but this maybe adds to it. The combination of the two keeps my make up from breaking up even after a 13 hour day. I couldn't decide between the De-Slick or All Nighter so I'll get the All Nighter next time to compare. 

The only downside is that it's expensive. I bought it during the 15% off sale but I find products like this tend to run out quickly so I've been using it selectively.

$36 for 118 mls



Do you like using setting sprays? Do you like De-Slick or All Nighter better?

No comments:

Post a Comment