Monday 19 May 2014

Subtle Smokey Eye with a Pop of Colour

So I was thinking of making this a Prom look but I think it's a bit late for most people. So I'll just call it a special occasion look. I couldn't decide between a classic smokey eye or a colourful smokey eye, so I combined the two. It's a smokey eye but without being all over dark so it still has some brightness to it. You could easily customize it to your preferences. You could deepen the black, add thin or thick liner, wing the liner, skip the colour and just add black to the bottom, or keep it more subtle and just add some soft brown on the bottom. You could also match the colour on the bottom lash line to match the colour of your dress. This is just what I chose to do because I wore the look for a concert, so I thought it was kind of fun!

I need a bang trim!


I started with Urban Decay primer potion all over both lids then put some NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Milk on just the inner 2/3 of the eye to make the lighter colour pop.

Then using a fluffy blending brush (Sigma E40) I put on some Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie as a transition shade. This colour is very close to my skin tone so it's more to just help blend. Then using a blending brush I added some MUG creme brulee to deepen it a bit.




To keep the look bright I put MUG shimma shimma on the inner 2/3 of the lid. You could also dampen your brush and really pack it on to make it brighter or more metallic. I put some on the inner tear duct as well and highlighted the brow bone with MUG Vanilla.

I used the black shade, corrupt on the outer 2/3 of the lash line (stopping around where the inner iris is) and slowly blended upwards in a triangle shape, going wider towards the outer edge. To keep the look soft I skipped eyeliner, but you could easily add it for more intensity. You can build the black up more. I went in about 4 times to create some more intensity, but a lot of colour gets blended away. I put on my concealer after doing my eyes because there was some fall out from the black. I used a tissue with makeup remover and swiped under the eyes and up towards the tip of my eyebrow which created a soft cat eye look with the shadow (I find easier and less harsh than the tape method). A lot of the shimma shimma got blended away too, so I went back in to brighten that.


With nothing on the bottom lash line. Could just leave it like this with some soft brown on the bottom for a simpler look


The lower lash line is where you can really customize the look. I chose purple because I like it with brown eyes, but you could use any colour. I used the rimmel kohl liner in the dark purple colour along the water liner and lash line and just smudged it out with my finger. I then added MUG eyeshadow in Sensuous to the lash line and blended everything out with MUG Wisteria.





I finished the look with wispy eyelashes. I just picked these up at Forever 21 for $1! It's my first time using them and they applied very easily. I found them quite long so I had to cut a few millimetres off so they fit. If it's a special occasion where you will have photos taken, I would go for more dramatic lashes though. These didn't do a whole lot.



For the lips I used MAC Creme d'nude lipstick with Bonnebell Liplites in Strawberry Parfait on top.








The rest of my face:

Benefit The Porefessional
Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation
MAC Pro Longwear Concealer
MAC Studio Fix Concealer
MAC MSF Natural
NARS Laguna
Coastal Scents Blush (From the palette, don't know the name)
MAC MSF in Perfect Topping
L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara
Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde


                                             What is your favourite, fun, special occasion look?

No comments:

Post a Comment